Re: Ideas about a GR to fix the DAM

Hi Andreas,

On Tue, Nov 20, 2007 at 10:41:29PM +0100, Andreas Tille wrote:
> 2007/11/19, Anthony Towns <aj@azure.humbug.org.au>:
> > On Sun, Nov 18, 2007 at 11:16:59PM +0100, Andreas Tille wrote:
> > > I completely disagree that the personal preference of a programming
> > > language should dictate the technical means we should choose.  I'm
> > > really happy that James does not prefer say PL/I and we would be forced
> > > to clone an existing software in this or any other language.

> > Well, I'm really happy that you can't write something in PL/I and force
> > me to use it to do my work, too. It goes both ways.

> Wrong.  We are talking not about _you_ or a single person, but a group
> that should use and continue development.  I see no reason why this
> group should adopt to the programming habits of a single person.  It
> sounds like we are to much used to the idea that there is a chair that
> is occupied by a single person.  If there are existing tools that might
> solve a problem we should not ask the person that is sitting on a
> specific chair whether he likes the programming language the tool
> is written in.  If the wool works and we are perfectly able to form a
> group that has one or two members that are competent in this
> programming language it is perfectly the way we should go.

Your message has inspired me.  I'm sending this email to let you know that,
since I see an open bug on the fortunes-de package, it's my conclusion that
you need more help maintaining it, so Adam Conrad and I are working on an
updated version that we will upload when it's ready.  BTW, the packaging
will be redone using "tada", a reimplementation of yada in tcl which already
solves this particular bug.  I don't imagine you'll have any problems with
this choice since it's a perfectly good tool, but even if you do you're only
a single person and there are two of us, so we're going to do it anyway, so
your choices are to use it as a comaintainer or to step down and let us do
what we want without you.

HTH,