Re: Misleading statement in debian-faq s1.5, was: Ideas about a GR to fix the DAM

Steve McIntyre <steve@einval.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 22, 2007 at 02:26:41PM +0000, MJ Ray wrote:
> ><q class="ramble">This is something where the project isn't managing
> >expectations very well.  [...]
>
> You seem to be trying a land-grab on the word "cooperatively".

I don't mean to.  I merely suggest that this may be related to the false
hopes of openness and democracy that people have about the project and
it might be worth avoiding the word in our self-descriptions.

> That
> word does not (at all) have to mean "as a cooperative" in the sense
> you're assuming. [...]

Indeed, it does not have to, but if we describe debian as being
developed "cooperatively" without being clear about what we mean, then
some people will get the wrong idea and expect it to be developed by
cooperative-like groups.

This is similar to when we use "free software" without any mention of
the DFSG, but some DDs seem to be more surprised by the cooperativity(?)
misunderstanding than they are about freedom ones now.

Hope that clarifies,