Re: Debian Maintainers GR Proposal

Raphael Hertzog wrote:
> >   1  It's a one time issue even if the time period involved can be quite
> >      long and
>
> A package maintainer that can't upload during one or two years and who has
> to chase sponsors indefinitely will end up demotivated and won't finish his
> NM process. (It's not something which is true of everybody, but it's
> certainly true for a significant part of small contributors)

Then we should fix the NM process instead and not create a new level
of buerocracy and second class maintainer officially.

> >   2  Didn't you say that the DM thing is not meant as workaround about
> >      dificiencies in the NM process?
>
> I did. IMO the length of the process of the NM is a feature not a bug. I
> want DD to be reliable like they are. On the other hand, I want people
> with less time to be able to contribute a bit nevertheless. You need to
> compromise on other aspects to achieve this.

I'm sorry, but to me this does not exactly sound convincing, more
the contrary.

I'd be much happier if you'd start with a clone of mentors.debian.net
for contributors who want to maintain packages without becoming Debian
developers and let users decide if they want to add that repository
to their APT sources.

(Suddenly experience with dotdebian php packages come to my mind)

Regards,

	Joey

--
If nothing changes, everything will remain the same.  -- Barne's Law