Re: Proposal: GR to deal with effects of a personal dispute

Sven Luther <luther@debian.org> wrote:
> On Wed, May 30, 2007 at 07:26:03PM +0100, MJ Ray wrote:
> > So if the GR contained: "2. Responsibility for the previous events is
> > shared." then that is an end to it, in your opinion?
>
> Sure, this is all i am asking. Not sure why everyone translates this to
> "i won"t be satisfied if i don't get my way", which is more what the
> other side has been showing, but then as i said, people judge me not on
> what i say, but on what they believe i say.

I based everything in my proposal on things from the messages about
this dispute from various people, as far as I could.  Even things
like the apology, which quickly drew one objection, arose from one
of your requests: Message-ID: <20070528152826.GB21917@powerlinux.fr>

So, no, that isn't all you are asking.  Please get straight with
yourself before complaining that others are getting confused.

> [...] Well, just look at [...], or [...] on irc [...]
> and [...] used to bash me [...] and [...]

I'm aware of most of that, so why keep repeating it?  It's relevant to
how we got here, but is it relevant to what happens now?

Even if it is, I feel there's no need to detail it yet, so I'm
unlikely to reply to further emails containing detailed accusations.

[...]
> Indeed, and that is exactly the main reproach i have against this whole
> mess. If everyone involved in it had been equally suspended, i would be
> happy. I am not the sole responsible for this mess, why should i be the
> only punished ? And a resolution which keeps this strong unfairness
> exhibits the same problem as the previous resolutions.

Well, I've done what I said I would.  I proposed a GR which
essentially replaces the DAM suspension with something that actually
acts against the problem of misbehaviour on the debian lists.

That's already a pretty difficult sell: see how few seconds it has so
far?  I'm not going to make it even harder by trying to give any
less-frequent offenders the same punishment.  To be honest, I think
this has a snowflake's chance in hell now and the project will be
lucky if this passes before it's irrelevant.

Discussions continue about the best way to stop list abuse in general
and I will second any human GR about it when the time comes.

Hope that explains,
--
MJR/slef