Re: A question to the Debian community ...

On Wed, May 23, 2007 at 07:36:57PM +0200, Sven Luther wrote:
> On Wed, May 23, 2007 at 10:42:13AM +0200, Wouter Verhelst wrote:
> > On Fri, May 11, 2007 at 12:51:23PM +0200, Sven Luther wrote:
> > > It is amazing to what step people can resort just to silence the voice
> > > of their own concience and don't be reminded of their shame.
> >
> > There is no shame here. There is only annoyance.
>
> There is shame, there is shame, because you support the side who did not
> which the solution solved, you support the side who did make sure the
> annoyance would not get away, there is shame, because i asked you to
> help solving this, and you declined, because the you said the other
> party would not hear you.

Actually, you asked me to mediate. To that I replied that, given the
fact that Frans has publically stated that he's not interested in
mediation anymore, I didn't think it'd be a fruitful use of my time to
attempt a mediation.

That doesn't mean I don't want to help you anymore.

> There is shame, because of the way the DAMs handled this, without
> following their own guidelines, without enough transparency in the
> proceeding.
>
> There is shame, because, you, as did the two last DPLs and the DAMs,
> have recognized that Debian has acted unfairly toward me. You all claim
> the current situation was inevitable, but was another solution even
> tried ?
[...]

No, that's not true. What is true is that you think people *should* be
ashamed of themselves because of all the reasons you quoted. However,
the hard and cold fact is that they aren't, and there's nothing you can
do about that. They're only annoyed; and that, I'm afraid, is entirely
because of your own doing.

I feel there won't be anything which you will accept as a "resolution"
unless and until you realise this hard truth:

There is a difference between how you percieve things to be ("I'm being
treated unfairly") and how other people percieve things to be ("Sven is
an annoying brat"); and if you want those other people to listen to you
and to change their attitude towards you, their opinion matters more
than your own. That doesn't mean they're always right, or that you
should ignore your own opinion; but you should consider theirs more than
your own if you want them to change.

I'm sorry, but I do think that this is the situation.

--
Shaw's Principle:
	Build a system that even a fool can use, and only a fool will