Re: Anton's amendment

Yavor Doganov <yavor@doganov.org> writes:
> Daniel Ruoso wrote:

>> I'm still not convinced GPL prevents that. You're still allowed to
>> rephrase the copyright,no-warrant,where-is-the-license notices and to
>> present it in a way that fits to your needs. It doesn't force you to
>> use in the same way and with the same text the original author did.

> Well, it is not said explicitly, so this is an interpretation.  I'm
> quite certain that rephrasing is not allowed.  I really don't like
> dissections of licenses, but if I write a GUI program that shows that
> notice moving on the status bar (or as a background, ala "Star Wars"
> movie), I guess your fork must include the same.  Such notices may
> contain stuff like "Thanks to my wife for the patience" or "This is the
> power of Objective-C.  Try GNUstep, step into the freedom!".

You should read the GPL again, then, as you are completely incorrect about
the requirements in GPL 2c.  You are *not* required to display the notice
in the same place, you *are* allowed to rephrase it, and you are *not*
required to retain extraneous information like the notices you list.  The
license spells out exactly what you have to include, namely a copyright
notice, a notice of no warranty, a statement that the users may
redistribute the package under the GPL, and a way to view a copy of the
GPL.  That's it.  The form of those notices is not fixed or required by
the license.