Re: Anton's amendment

On Sat, Feb 04, 2006 at 01:21:12AM +0200, Yavor Doganov wrote:
> At Fri, 03 Feb 2006 16:46:47 -0300,
> Daniel Ruoso wrote:

> > I'm still not convinced GPL prevents that. You're still allowed to
> > rephrase the copyright,no-warrant,where-is-the-license notices and to
> > present it in a way that fits to your needs. It doesn't force you to use
> > in the same way and with the same text the original author did.

> Well, it is not said explicitly, so this is an interpretation.  I'm
> quite certain that rephrasing is not allowed.  I really don't like
> dissections of licenses,

This doesn't exempt you from actually reading and understanding them before
opening your mouth publically about them.  The GPLv2 does *not* require you
to retain existing copyright notices verbatim.

> but if I write a GUI program that shows that notice moving on the status
> bar (or as a background, ala "Star Wars" movie), I guess your fork must
> include the same.

You guess wrong.  The GPLv2 does not require the notice to be retained in
any particular form; just that it be "print[ed] or display[ed]" when the
program is started for interactive use.