Re: Anton's amendment

On 2/1/06, Manoj Srivastava <srivasta@debian.org> wrote:

>         Could some one tell me why including the invariant sections of
>  a GFDL licensed work in main would not require us to modify the DFSG
>  or the social contract?
>
>         Specifically, I am looking at the SC:
> >>  1. Debian will remain 100% free
>
>         And the DFSG:
> >>       The license must allow modifications and derived works, and must
> >>       allow them to be distributed under the same terms as the license
> >>       of the original software.

Even though I strongly disagree with Anton's position and reading of
the DFSG, I think that the point is that the text says "allow
modifications" and not "allow for the whole source to be modified".
Of course, the "spirit" of the DFSG is that of allowing to modify the
whole text, but it's not explicitly stated, and thus allows for
unbeliavable conclusions like "Invariant Sections are free".

It would be nice to ammend that part of the DFSG to clearly state what
we mean when we say that we want to be able to modify the work.  But,
until then, misreadings of the text can't be prevented.

--
Besos,
Marga