Re: Anton's amendment

Em Qui, 2006-02-02 às 18:49 +0000, Stephen Gran escreveu:
> This one time, at band camp, Daniel Ruoso said:
> > > So, if I were to write a program, which at startup displays the
> > > entiretity of the GNU Manifesto, and wrote a license, which would be
> > > GPL with the addition that the startup display may not be modified,
> > > only amended, you would consider this program a DFSG program and it
> > > could go into main?
> > IMHO, it's non-free. It's completely reasonable to want to remove the
> > startup display at all...
> Except that the GPL already explicitly precludes modifications of this
> type (not this scope, but this type, mind you), and our foundation
> documents consider the GPL a free license.

GPL is very clear about that:

"to print or display an announcement including an appropriate copyright
notice and a notice that there is no warranty (or else, saying that you
provide a warranty) and that users may redistribute the program under
these conditions, and telling the user how to view a copy of this
License."

The GNU Manifesto is *not* an copyright notice, and you're not required
to display the entire license, only that it is licensed under the GPL
and where to get it. So, I would not violate the license if I (even not
as the copyright owner) modify the way this is displayed and the text
displayed, as long as I keep:
1) The copyright notice: "Copyright(c) 2006 Whoever
(whoever@wherever.com)"
2) The "No Warrant" notice: which can have the text changed.
3) Legal: "This is a GPL software. You can get a copy of the lincence at
http//wherever.com"

I'm not forced to display this the same way the original author did, and
not even the same text. I.e.: If the original author popped up a dialog
box with a OK button, I still can show this information in the splash
screen without any user confirmation...

This has nothing to do with invariant sections.

daniel