Re: Anton's amendment

On Thu, 2 Feb 2006 16:46:33 +0000, Stephen Gran <sgran@debian.org> said:

> This one time, at band camp, Thomas Bushnell BSG said:
>> If I want to reproduce only one small part of a GFDLd manual which
>> has invariant sections, then I can only do so if I reproduce all the
>> invariant sections, which can be quite large, in comparison to the
>> few paragraphs I wish to copy from the text.

> Small amounts are likely covered under fair use.

No, sorry, they are not.  Fair use (which, BTW, is not a universal
feature of copyright, but varies between jurisdictions) allows you to
copy texts only for certain purposes.  If I copy a few paragraphs from a
book (and include proper attribution), this does not fall under fair
use.

http://fairuse.stanford.edu/Copyright_and_Fair_Use_Overview/chapter9/

--
Hubert Chan <hubert@uhoreg.ca> - http://www.uhoreg.ca/