Re: Anton's amendment

On Wednesday 01 February 2006 08:46, Margarita Manterola wrote:
> Of course, the "spirit" of the DFSG is that of allowing to modify the
> whole text, but it's not explicitly stated,

Okay, here's the thing: why do you (or anyone) get to say what the "spirit"
of the DFSG is about, and why should anyone's opinion of that be binding on
the project?

The DFSG are guidelines, and the "spirit" of them feels slightly different
to every developer. Now, ideally, we'd all agree what the spirit of the
DFSG, and agree on how to apply them in ever case.

Since we obviously DON'T all agree on exactly what the spirit of it is--you
say the spirit requires allowing modifications to the whole text, others
say it only requires allowing modifications to some/most of it--this GR can
show us what the majority of developers on the project actual believe.

Whatever their decision, this doesn't change the DFSG, nor does it change
the "spirit" of it. It just means that the non-majority (whichever "side"
that is) apparently is interpreting the DFSG incorrectly in the opinion of
the project as a whole.

--
Wesley J. Landaker <wjl@icecavern.net> <xmpp:wjl@icecavern.net>