Re: Anton's amendment

On Wed, Feb 01, 2006 at 02:17:54PM -0800, Thomas Bushnell BSG wrote:
> Yavor Doganov <yavor@doganov.org> writes:
>
> > No, I think that Anton Zinoviev's amendment to the GR does *not*
> > require a change to the DFSG.
>
> For this to be true, it must seem like a plausible interpretation of
> the words of the DFSG.  Can you work me through this then, since I
> (and others) are so lunk-headed that we have not seen it?

Everybody has the right to have his own opinion.  I do not insist that
you have to acknowledge my interpretation as plausible.  The point is
that

   1. There is absolutely no decision in the Debian project that would
make my interpretation invalid.

   2. My interpretation is supported by some Debian developers (and
probably by many Debian developers).

Hence my interpretation may not be disqualified as novelty for Debian.

> Where does the DFSG contain any limitations or hint of limitations on
> the nature of the modifications that must be permitted?

This is an argument in favour of my interpretation of DFSG.  My
interpretation does not require any limitations or hints of
limitations.  However your interpretation requires a list of
exceptions because "must permit arbitrary modifications" would render
GPL and some other free licenses to be non-free.

Anton Zinoviev