Re: Call for votes for "GR: : Handling source-less firmware in the Linux kernel"

Manoj Srivastava <srivasta@debian.org> wrote:
> On Tue, 10 Oct 2006 17:59:38 +0100 (BST), MJ Ray <mjr@phonecoop.coop> said:
> > Manoj Srivastava <srivasta@debian.org> wrote:
> >> Commentary is one thing. Hysterical overreaction to the magnitude
> >> of the error is another.
>
> > Quite.  Neither "These instructions are self-contradictory" nor
> > "name the amendment on the ballot" are hysterical overreaction,
> > whereas "Does anyone themselves have had problems figuring out what
> > this was all about" and "Rubish. You have tow overlapping
> > constraints" seem closer to hysterical: so keen to flame that
> > spelling and grammar went out the window.
>
>         Jumping to conclusions as usual. The stutter in messages is
>  due to the hotel network randomly dropping packets, to the point
>  where typing is often painful.  However, don't let trying to discover
>  facts get in your way.

I'm telling how it looks from here, but I bow to others' expertise
in jumping to conclusions.

I don't know what computer power is available locally, but offline
reading and composing may help.  It just took three weeks to get a
telephone line to my side of the hill, so I've been doing that
recently.

>         Secondly, hectoring me does not solvce anything; I note that
>  no one actually has done _anything_ to reduce the discombobulation;
>  no one even mailed d-d-a, which is something I can't do without
>  access to my keys.

Like the whole NMU thing, there's often a feeling that people should at
least be given a chance to fix their own mistakes.  How should anyone
know when someone doesn't have access to their keys?  Was anyone asked
to mail d-d-a and correct the Secretary in full view of all the press
and so on who read that list but not this one?

[...]
>         Actually, it might have something to do with your ability to
>  be a team player.

It might, but I consider it unlikely, because of the well-functioning
and successful teams that I have been part of.  That said, I know
that the almost genetic-algorithm-like heavy approach of the debian
project is rather different from the cooperatives and collectives I've
been working with lately.  I doubt that the debian project has many
good (open, autonomous, informative and so on) teams today - and DPL
candidates who advocated more good teamwork have been roundly rejected
in recent elections.

> > That works both ways.  People should stop treating fellow volunteers
> > as faceless workers and use the power of their role to encourage
> > them, rather than seeming to spend equivalent effort on discouraging
> > them.
>
>         Why on earth should I encourage behaviour that is merely
>  obstructive rather than helping role players in doing their job? [...]

What a way to extend the suggestion into something daft! Encourage good
behaviour instead of only discouraging bad.

Hope that explains,
--
MJR/slef