Re: Call for votes for "GR: : Handling source-less firmware in the Linux kernel"

On Tue, 10 Oct 2006 10:43:03 +0100 (BST), MJ Ray <mjr@phonecoop.coop> said:

> Frank =?iso-8859-1?Q?K=FCster?= <frank@debian.org> wrote:
>> [...] And how about your offering him to proofread the ballot?  Or
>> just doing it, since he actually posted it in public for that very
>> purpose?

> I thought it was posted so that everyone could see the Secretary had
> shown it to the Proposer and Seconders.

        Why on earth would I just "show" people stuff?

> The most common response to other comments recently is suggesting
> that the commenter is too thick to vote.

        Commentary is one thing. Hysterical overreaction to the
 magnitude of the error is another.  I think this phenomena stems from
 people no longer treating Debian as a fun project that a group of
 volunteers got together to do -- the paradigm has shifted to people
 wanting service. This might be a result of Debian growing too large
 and anonymous -- now people want services, and complain if the
 service does not meet their standards.

        This is true also of other role aspects -- DAM, FTP-master,
 etc.  When you are expecting a service, you are the most important
 component -- your needs must be met. there is no room for erros on
 the part of the so called service provider. You know, the customer is
 always right.

> shame

        Indeed.  People whould stop treating fellow volunteers as
 faceless workers, and realize that mistakes happen, and help work
 around them, rather than raising the roof about how the sky is
 falling.

        manoj
--
"Trust me.  I know what I'm doing." Sledge Hammer