Re: Call for votes for "GR: : Handling source-less firmware in the Linux kernel"

Jurij Smakov <jurij@wooyd.org> wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 09, 2006 at 04:33:42PM -0500, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
>> > These instructions are self-contradictory.  -- Ben Pfaff email:
>> > blp@cs.stanford.edu web: http://benpfaff.org
>>         Rubish. You have tow overlapping constraints. One constraint
>>  happens to be a superset of the other. There is not contradiction --
>>  get your nit-picking right, fer gaeds sake.
> Whatever you call it, it's your screw-up.

I don't even think there's anything seriously screwed.  And if there
were, the right thing to do would be to ask Manoj "Please tell me where
I can download the script you use, so that I can fix it", instead of
blaming him.

> And yes, this is a concern,
> because there are plenty of people participating in this vote, who
> might be confused by this, but reluctant to ask for clarifications due
> to language and/or culture barrier.

Anyone who ist not able to figure out themselves what this means might
have a problem in their Debian work generally, since you can't expect
that everything is spelled out and proofread when you're dealing with
Debian packages.

Anyone who has a language and/or culture barrier to asking if they don't
understand something important, and/or at the same time is not able to
find the information in the constitution that is the "source" for this
paragraph, they will have a *severe* problem working in Debian.

> If it's so unbearably painful
> for you to hear the criticism, perhaps you should do a better job of
> proof-reading the ballot (and your replies :-) next time.

Given the (often unwarranted) criticism Manoj had to face in the last
couple of days, his reply wasn't really bad-tempered.  And how about
your offering him to proofread the ballot?  Or just doing it, since he
actually posted it in public for that very purpose?

Regards, Frank
Dr. Frank Küster
Debian Developer (teTeX/TeXLive)