Re: Splitting out Choice #1 from vote_004

Le mardi 26 septembre 2006 à 11:15 -0500, Manoj Srivastava a écrit :
> >   2) joselin's : we make an indefinite exception for non-free  firmware.
>
>         This creates an exception clause to DFSG#2, and in affect
>  changes the DFSG until we have other technical means to ship non-free
>  firmware in the future. Since it changes/clarifies/adds a rider ro
>  the DFSG, and says that shipping sourceless firmware in main would
>  not violate the DFSG because of this special exception, this does
>  need a 3:1 majority.

I understand the argument, but I don't think this proposal really
changes the DFSG. The wording makes it clear this is temporary -
although indeed not limited in time - and that this is an exception,
which doesn't change the DFSG themselves. If the proposal had been
worded « we apologize for currently not respecting DFSG #2 for kernel
packages, because of technical limitations », it would have the same
effect.

A similar case, at the limit of clarification and exception, was the
GFDL GR, and at that time it didn't require 3:1 majority.

>         Or we can say that Frederik's and Joss's proposals are about
>  exceptions for firmware and releases -- one by prioritizing the
>  release, the other by creating a special exception to the DFSG#2.
>
> How about:
>
>  [  ] DFSG #2 applies to all programmatic works
>  [  ] further discussion
>
> Followed by:
>  [  ] Release Etch even with kernel freeware issues
>  [  ] Special exception to DFSG#2 for firmware as long as required [needs 3:1]
>  [  ] further discussion

I like the idea, but it eliminates some choices for the voter. With this
setup, it is not possible to prioritize the firmware removal over the
release, while still considering other options acceptable. How would I
be able to express the following:
        [ 1 ] DFSG #2 applies to all programmatic works
        [ 3 ] Release Etch even with kernel freeware issues.
        [ 2 ] Special exception to DFSG#2 for firmware as long as required [needs 3:1]
        [ 4 ] further discussion
with the separate ballot you are proposing?