Re: Splitting out Choice #1 from vote_004

On Monday 25 September 2006 05:11, Don Armstrong wrote:
> Baring objection, I plan on calling for a vote with a suggested balot
> containing only this option in a few days (no later than 09-27).[1]
> [The Secretary, of course, can override this suggested ballot.]

I strongly object to separating this proposal out and calling for a vote
without any alternative proposals or amendments, for the foolowing reasons:

1) The proposal on its own adds nothing to the status quo: the SC is
currently widely understood to prohibit sourceless firmware in main, which
is the main reason why Steve's original proposal was submitted.
There is absolutely no need to reaffirm something that is basically
uncontested.

2) Without any alternatives, a vote on this proposal will be based purely on
theory and ideals, without any discussion on the practical implications,
for example on the usability of the Debian installation system for users
with hardware that depends on sourceless firmware.

3) If the proposal is voted on on it's own, it is my belief that the vote
will be heavily biassed towards accepting it. The reason for this is that
for developers who have not followed the discussion on d-vote, this
proposal will seem fairly innocent and the ideals it promotes are noble.
Without a counterweight that shows the practical implications people will
be inclined to support it without thoinking to much about it.

If this proposal is separated out, IMO this should be announced broadly and
a new period to allow for amendmends and counter proposals should be
opened, followed by the normal discussion period.

Completely not amused by the way this whole GR mess is developing,
Frans Pop