Re: Question to all candidates about stable point releases

> Changes are currently being implemented to improve the handling of
> proposed-updates, in order to have those point releases happing more

Since I'm currently running very low on time it may very well be that I
completely missed this, so could you please give me a short hint where to
find more about the changes that are being implemented? There probably has
been an announcement, right?

> easily. It'll still require an ftp-master to find the time to do it, and
> there can be any number of reasons why nobody finds the time to do it --
> Debian being volunteer-driven as it is. I personally don't think it's a

Right, Debian is driven by volunteers and I'm pretty sure there are some
volunteers willing to help ftp-admins to manage the archives. So isn't the
simple solution to have more ftp-admins?

> huge issue if those point releases are not 100% regular, because for the
> majority it's security updates, but it's still good to have them not too

So, you essantially say point releases are not that important. Okay, your
mileage may vary, but other people have other opinions and spend a lot of
time (I think) in preparing those point releases. But then they are not
released because of a lack of time in one small team. How do you think the
people working on the point releases feel about that?

> far apart, esp. for those updates that are not also already distributed
> via security.debian.org. With significantly less effort required each
> time from the side of ftp-master, I think stable point releases can

So the releases have to be changed to create less work for ftp-master?

> happen more regularly. There can be other ways to improve too, but not
> by direct intervention from the DPL role -- a DPL should not want to
> micro-manage.

Sorry, but I don't get this one. Why is this micro-managing? The DPL IMO
should take care of the process inside the project, or who else should?

> It's not something I see as a priority to improve though, I don't think
> the current situation is unaccepteable or so. Our real releases are much
> more important. As DPL, I want to focus most of my energy on a limited
> amount of areas, better do a few things good, than a lot of them only a
> bit.

Taking care of the releases takes so much time for the DPL that he cannot take
care of what's going on with point releases. Is this understanding of your
statement correct?

Michael

--
Michael Meskes