Re: debian-women obscurity, was: Clarification about krooger's platform

also sprach Amaya <amaya@debian.org> [2005.03.09.2107 +0100]:
> > Why is it called debian-women?
>
> Because the effort, the project, is aimed at increasing the
> involvement of women in Debian. So debian-women as a name made
> perfect sense :)

I had a deeper question in mind, but failed to be clear.

> > I fully support debian-women as there is obviously demand for it.
>
> Thanks for the support, even if lukewarm.

lukewarm it may be. But then you will never hear me voice a sexist
opinion. Anyway, I feel like the topic is a hot coal and I'd rather
put it down and sit around the fire than to toss it around more.

But before we get out the marshmallows, I would like to commend you
on the web site, which is, in fact, definitely a resource to all
Debian people. I wish I had known about it a little earlier, then
I could have put more references into my book. Anyway, I am trying
to convince the publisher, now that I've seen some of it... after
all, I did fix my .procmailrc this afternoon, and should now
actually be receiving debian-women email...

/me whacks himself over the head

(I was a first-day subscriber too...)

> > However, I often wonder why sets of problems are solved under a
> > "superficial" label, when they really exist way further down the
> > crust?
>
> I don't think I understand your claims here.

The problem is that Debian is sometimes like the Wild West. You're
in for a rough time, often, and that should change, whether to
increase women's motivation to join, or make the whole place feel
more cozy. I am not trying to deny my own responsibiltiy in the
matter...

> > If so, then why not solve the problem further down (through
> > sensibilisation and competence to not answer every flamebait or
> > take things personally in such public formums),
>
> Excuse me, are we talking about the same public forums? :)

I am afraid we are.

> I have little hope for that to happen.

... but it could be something that debian-women may be able to
successfully pull off. In German there is a saying: "the wiser
concedes the ground." I wish people (including myself) would live by
it. Maybe debian-women have a better strategy at "implementing"
this?

> This is actually what you were answering to. There's no sex
> segregation. But there's a strong emphasis in *visivility*.

Great. This is the answer I wanted. Thanks.

> I'd love to see groups like [...] debian-nudists (gnudists?)

no, please!

>  .''`.   What does not destroy me, makes me stronger. - Nietzsche

(he said "kill", not "destroy", and "harder", not "stronger")

`. `'`