Re: GR Proposal 2: Declassification of -private

Kalle Kivimaa <killer@debian.org>
> The proposal guarantees that if an author wishes his/her post(s) to
> remain confidential, they will do so. The proposal has a specific
> procedure that must be followed to publish any -private message,
> either past or future, and the author of the message has a veto for
> all of his/her posts.

A veto is not a guarantee that an author can keep a post confidential.
There are all sorts of reasons why the author may not respond in time,
one of which you mentioned (author no longer on email).

The proposal should NOT apply to past posts in its current form.

Further, the proposal does not say where those announcements will
happen. Please can it be amended to require a devel-announce post or
similar?

> [...] And if this is a
> problem, then we have the amendment which will enable the procedure
> only for future posts.

I'm amazed anyone considers otherwise. It's unethical to publish
things that debian promised to keep private. I think it also leaves
us wide open to accusations of infringing copyright.

--
MJR/slef