Re: GR Proposal: Declassification of -private

On Wed, 2005-11-16 at 10:37 +1000, Anthony Towns wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 15, 2005 at 12:40:31AM -0600, John Lightsey wrote:
> > I would be against revealing messages written by or
> > containing excerpts written by former DDs who have died or disappeared.
>
> I think that's backwards; it seems like it'd make /more/ sense to publish
> messages from DDs who've passed away, since there's even less chance of
> it harming their prospects, and hiding the contributions they've made
> doesn't seem like it'd do their memory justice. Making best efforts to
> contact next of kin seems pretty plausible though.

My only qualm is that the change shouldn't apply retroactively.  Someone
who posted to debian-private in the past, who is unable to make
objections now, didn't give permission to make their private posts
public.  They posted to debian-private with the understanding that those
posts would stay private.

John