Re: GR Proposal: Declassification of -private

Hi,

        Here is my proposed change, that would make the process opt-in
 by the actual authors, and still give a hearing to any others who may
 be affected. I think this process allows people who may have posted
 only under the protection of the privacy umbrella, while still
 allowing the process of publication to go ahead.

        Mind you, this is not strictly opt-in, since the authors get
 between 4-8 weeks to send in their veto, and so the publication is
 not held up by people who can no longer be contacted. I must say I
 still have some misgivings about this (we are changing our privacy
 statement with regards to the mailing list, after all), but I see
 this as a compromise between a strict opt-in that can cause things to
 be held up by people we can no longer contact.

  This process will be undertaken under the following constraints:

    * The Debian Project Leader will delegate one or more volunteers
      to form the "debian-private declassification team".

    * The team will automatically declassify and publish posts made to
      that list after three years, with the following exceptions:

      - the author and any named recipients of messages being reviewed
        will be contacted, and allowed between four and eight weeks to
-       comment;
+       comment; and requests by the authors of the post shall be
+       honoured.

      - posts that reveal financial information about individuals or
        organisations other than Debian, will have that information
        removed;

      - posts of no historical or other relevance, such as vacation
        announcements, or posts that have no content after personal
        information is removed, will not be published, unless the
        author requests they be published;

      - publication of posts that would reveal otherwise unpublished
        security vulnerabilities in currently supported releases of a
        Debian distribution will be deferred;

-     - requests by the authors of posts, or others who would be
+     - requests by people other than the author who would be
        affected by the publication of the post, will be taken into
        account by the declassification team;

      - the list of posts to be declassified will be made available to
        developers two weeks before publication, so that the decisions
        of the team may be overruled by the developer body, if
        necessary.

        manoj
--
Marriage is the only adventure open to the cowardly. Voltaire