Re: GR Proposal: Declassification of -private

Em Ter, 2005-11-15 às 12:08 +1000, Anthony Towns escreveu:
> I think the easiest way to do that is to adopt an approach similar to that
> of governments that deal with classified documents; that is by setting a
> specific time after which -private posts will be required to be considered
> for declassification (ie, publication) and redacting only those posts (or
> portions of posts) for which there's still a good reason to keep private.

Yes, and I do think even this GR being rejected, such declassification
process should be defined for future content.

Is there a way to combine such votings? so we don't have to vote once
again on that. Or even, do we need to vote on that?

> According to the interweb, classified US government documents relating
> to national security have to be released after at most ten years (unless
> there're particular reasons to extend that); the oldest mail in the
> -private archives turns ten on January 21st next year. I don't want to
> see Debian be more secretive than the US military industrial complex :)

This is a sensitive matter for people in Brasil. The question is that
when the millitary gov created a lot of documents, they weren't
intended to become public at any time, but in the democratic
transition, such process was defined.

Why am I saying this? Well, because that's the reason I second this
proposal (instead of the manoj's modification). I've been in Debian for
a short time by now, but I didn't see any content on -private that
couldn't be open after some time (taking off the VAC notification,
personal money info and stuff like that), and just because we can't get
a reply it doesn't means it doesn't matter.

So, I second this proposal.

Em Ter, 2005-11-15 às 12:08 +1000, Anthony Towns escreveu:
> Thus, I propose that the Debian project resolve that:
>
> ---
> In accordance with principles of openness and transparency, Debian will
> seek to declassify and publish posts of historical or ongoing significance
> made to the Debian Private Mailing List.
>
> This process will be undertaken under the following constraints:
>
>   * The Debian Project Leader will delegate one or more volunteers
>     to form the "debian-private declassification team".
>
>   * The team will automatically declassify and publish posts made to
>     that list after three years, with the following exceptions:
>
>     - the author and any named recipients of messages being reviewed
>       will be contacted, and allowed between four and eight weeks
>       to comment;
>
>     - posts that reveal financial information about individuals or
>       organisations other than Debian, will have that information
>       removed;
>
>     - posts of no historical or other relevance, such as vacation
>       announcements, or posts that have no content after personal
>       information is removed, will not be published, unless the author
>       requests they be published;
>
>     - publication of posts that would reveal otherwise unpublished
>       security vulnerabilities in currently supported releases of a
>       Debian distribution will be deferred;
>
>     - requests by the authors of posts, or others who would be affected
>       by the publication of the post, will be taken into account by
>       the declassification team;
>
>     - the list of posts to be declassified will be made available to
>       developers two weeks before publication, so that the decisions of
>       the team may be overruled by the developer body, if necessary.
> ---

daniel