vancouver flames (was: Re: Questions for the DPL candidates)

On Thursday 17 March 2005 07:52, Anthony Towns wrote:
[...]
> What happens if people still aren't happy after you've followed the
> guidelines? I mean, in this case, Steve did his best to follow
> established procedure for things like this, yet there's still a
> many-hundred message flamewar about it.
[...]
> That's the cost; on the benefits side, you've got YA random flamewar on
> -devel, where no one's even game to suggest anything so controversial as
> dropping architectures from stable.
>
> Or, at least, that's how it strikes me.

Am I too callous? Except for a few outliers (Blache and Juergensmann come to
my mind as well as several others who only needed some time and more
explanations) I felt that the discussion first hung on the points that
weren't entirely clear(proposal vs decision, REGULAR vs WIDESPREAD, sarge vs
etch) and later developed into interesting sub-threads (e.g. with Sven Luther
about how to track testing as IRREGULAR arch) which are now trying to reach
solutions for the problems.

But then I am also not on the receiving end so I might underestimate the
(social) impact of this discussion on the proposers.

See also my mail at http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2005/03/msg01978.html

Regards, David
--
- hallo... wie gehts heute?