Re: Do not make gratuitous source uploads just to provoke the buildds!

On Friday 18 March 2005 11:35, Peter 'p2' De Schrijver wrote:
> > Porters who have worked on getting an arch to REGUALR status are in a
> > much better position (demonstrated commitment, technical aptness and
> > experiencewise) to solve those problems than random-joe-developer.
>
> I have no idea what you're trying to say here.
>
> > Always remember that the main reason that it is easier for a porters team
> > to release within the (current) Debian framework than outside is that
> > _others_ do work for them.
>
> That has been the case up to now, but won't be the case after sarge.

Indeed that is quite the point I wanted to make with the first sentence.
Please excuse my inability to express that clearly. I will try again:

Up until and including the sarge release, central figures in release
management did most of the work that was needed between a arch-fixed upload
to unstable and a stable release. Reading the Vancouver-proposal, I come to
the conclusion that they recognise that they are not able to make a timely
release (sarge demonstrated that quite clearly).

Therefore they propose certain criteria a arch should fulfil that they are
willing to support a release for the arch. If you try to visualise the
effects of that I hope that this will happen:

1) people realize that $arch won't be REGULAR for etch because the people
working on a release don't want to handhold it through testing and
autobuilding is too slow to properly keep up.

2) people realize that whining and bitching on debian-devel won't convince
the people working on a release that $arch is worth the work

3a) people create $arch-specific-release-mechanism on ports.d.o and learn much
about the pain of keeping $arch in sync with REGULAR development.

3b) people create security-$arch and take care of packages which are affected
by DSAs but are not yet fixed in $arch

4) by going through 3a and 3b people demonstrate commitment and technical
aptness as well as gather experience regarding the release cycle. This makes
them perfect release and security assistants for $arch.

As far as I can tell, Debian on the whole is shortly before ending phase 2 and
I have already seen people work on 3a.

And if anyone dares to object to point 4 that the current release team should
get their act together, because they could "just improve $releae-mechanism"
and release etch with all 15+ arches within the next two years really hasn't
understood how Debian works[1].

If this pace keeps up I am convinced that etch will have more than four
REGULAR arches.

Regards, David

[1] ... and should send in some of the stuff he smokes.
--
- hallo... wie gehts heute?
- *hust* gut *rotz* *keuch*