Re: Denied vote and the definition of a DD

First and formost, this discussion doesn't belong on -legal at all, as
-legal isn't the body responsible for interpreting the constitution.
That's the Secretary's job under 7.1.3. Forwarding to -vote as that
(or possibly -project) is the correct list.

On Fri, 18 Mar 2005, Taral wrote:
> Quoted with permission:
> On Fri, Mar 18, 2005 at 12:17:36AM -0600, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
> > > Can I send in my vote by mail? If not, what alternate mechanism
> > > exists? If none, please make one. I don't want to be left out of
> > > the voting because of someone else's inaction.
> >
> > I'm sorry, but I don't think I can just make up rules. You need to
> > be a DD in good standing in order to vote, and that essentially
> > means having a key in the keyring.
>
> Questions to consider:
>
> 1. Whence does the requirement for signed votes come from?

Via 7.1.1 and A.6.1

> 2. Who is empowered to change the policy surrounding the voting
> system?

If the change requires a change to the constitution, the Developers
are by an appropriate GR. Otherwise, the Secretary sets the policy.

> 3. By what authority can the Secretary reject an authenticatable
> vote provided by alternate means? (e.g. notarized document by
> certified mail)

By 7.1.1 and A.6.1 again.

> 4. What defines who is and is not a Debian Developer?

Having control of a valid key in the keyring is pretty much the de
facto definition of a Debian Developer.

> 5. How do I fix my current problem?

From /usr/share/doc/debian-keyring/README.gz

     Getting your key into the debian keyring

     If you are an old debian developer who hasn't uploaded your
     packages for a long time, and your key is not in the keyring,
     send a mail to keyring-maint@debian.org explaining the situation,
     and including your public PGP key.

     All new maintainers should apply at http://nm.debian.org/, and
     your key(s) will be added to the keyring as part of the admission
     process.

Don Armstrong

--
The solution to a problem changes the problem.
 -- Peer's Law