Re: Question for candidate Towns

martin f krafft <madduck@debian.org> wrote:

> also sprach Anthony Towns <aj@azure.humbug.org.au> [2005.03.11.0158 +0100]:
>> There's a trivial way: moderate the lists. I think there are less
>> fascist ways that'll be both effective and more efficient. But
>> there's no point kidding ourselves that it'll be easy or that
>> everyone'll be happy with the change.
>
> Let's try it. Let's create debian-devel-moderated and
> debian-user-moderated and see what happens. I volunteer to be (one
> of the) moderator(s).

Maybe trying is in fact the only way to know.  When the german newsgroup
de.comp.os.unix.linux.moderated was founded, I also preferred it over
the unmoderated alternative, and I got better answers there.  However,
after a while the group nearly died - obviously posters preferred the
faster (and, at least at the beginning, often wrong...) responses in the
unmoderated group.

But it might well be different, and we begin to estimate the quality of
the moderated list.

However, we should be careful not to make the problem worse instead of
better: We don't gain much if anybody who wants to be informed then
would have to follow -devel *and* -devel-moderated, -project *and*
-project-moderated, and so on.

Regards, Frank
--
Frank Küster