Re: Q for Andreas Schuldei: "Small teams"??

On Tue, Mar 08, 2005 at 03:46:43PM +0000, MJ Ray wrote:
> Henning Makholm <henning@makholm.net> wrote:
> > You are invited to clarify on the "small teams" section of your
> > platform. [...]
>
> I understood it as similar to what I call the "magnificent seven"
> models being advocated by consensus-based grassroots groups
> recently.

It's not all that recent, it's taken directly from one of the old
communist systems (I forget which, offhand). I believe it was once
tried somewhere in Europe as a method for running a country, where it
was a spectacular failure, but I really don't remember any
details.

The normal result of systems based on this concept is to minimise
disagreement within groups while maximising disagreement between
groups, causing widespread fragmentation and eventual
collapse. Organisation by cliques simply doesn't work.

<Insert preferred adage about failure to learn from history here>

 : :' :  http://www.debian.org/ |