Re: Question for A. Towns - NM

Anthony Towns <aj@azure.humbug.org.au> wrote:

> Newcomers to Debian have a bunch of hurdles to overcome these days. As
> part of finding a package and uploading it to the archive through a
> sponsor they're expected to:
>
>     (a) find some piece of interesting software
>     (b) that's not so interesting anyone else has already taken it
>     (c) work on it for weeks or months for almost no recognition
>     (d) potentially have to beg random people for support for every
>         upload
>     (e) have to do all this without official access to any of the
>         resources developers usually have access to

There's an alternative already.  Look at your favorite packages, or he
ones you have submitted bugs to most often, or the ones you believe to
understand best, are most interested in, or whatever.  I bet there's one
among them that has lots of bugs, either because the current maintainer
doesn't have much time (or is even MIA), or because it's very complex
and could need more (wo)manpower.

Work on the bugs of this package, contact submitters, prepare patches,
cooperate with the developers.  Of course this is much easier when there
is already a team.

Besides that, I agree with you.

Regards, Frank

P.S. should anybody be in search of a package to devote their work to,
and have some bandwidth and disk space available, and be interested in
TeX, please join debian-tetex-maint!
--
Frank Küster
Inst. f. Biochemie der Univ. Zürich