Re: debian-women obscurity, was: Clarification about krooger's platform

On Fri, Mar 04, 2005 at 02:07:36PM +0000, MJ Ray wrote:
> Matthew Palmer <mpalmer@debian.org> wrote:
> > > I didn't find "the new mentoring programme" either. I remember being
> > > told some time ago that a mentor course would be announced,
> > > but now you mention it, I don't recall ever seeing it.
> > Oh my god, MJ Ray missed an announcement!  Everyone, stop what you're doing,
> > we need to announce something to MJ personally.
>
> Be serious.

I'm being as serious as you are.

You can list all the mailing lists and fora you read, but the point is that
unless you watch the entire world's open communications, you will miss
announcements.  It's a fact of life.  The choices for senders are,
basically, to either have a single "everything-announce" mailing list/IRC
channel/Jabber thing/Web forum/RSS feed/<whatever other pet technology
people like> and send every possible piece of information interesting to
somebody there, or else ensure that every possible piece of information of
interest to somebody gets sent to every open fora on earth.

Neither of those is conducive to useful on-going communication.

Accept that you will miss some messages of interest to you, and move on with
your life.

> > > Both their list and IRC judge you and if they consider you a
> > > "troll" then there is a secret silence against you [...]
> > The sky is falling!  A community has standards and is enforcing them!
>
> No, it's that that community's enforcement methods and secrecy
> should not allow it to be part of debian.

Why not?  The critical factor for inclusion in Debian appears to be a very
occasional contribution to the development of a Free operating system.
A bit of non-public discussion and enforcement of community standards
doesn't even come close to crossing that line.

> "We won't hide problems" and all that. I'm told off-list that
> debian-women's lists and site have actually banned some dissenters. Is
> that true and how can I see the reasoning?

Presumably by talking to those responsible for the enforcement.  Asking on
the list, in a polite and non-confrontational tone might get you an answer,
but don't be surprised if you don't get an answer (oh my god, wall of
silence!) considering your past behaviour.

- Matt