Re: Vote Robinson for DPL!

Ean Schuessler <ean@brainfood.com> wrote:
> On Monday 21 February 2005 1:38 pm, MJ Ray wrote: [...]
> > In general, status reports seem few and far between in the
> > minutes. Aren't they meant to be part of the normal order of
> > business under the SPI by-laws? As you were so happy to point
> > out last summer, doesn't the president have some responsibility
> > for checking SPI follows the by-laws?
> It is also the responsibility of the SPI President to see that records are
> accounted for properly and legally. However, it wasn't possible for me to do
> this because the new Treasurer (Jimmy Kaplowitz) would be told how to do his
> job. While I admire his chutzpah, his timing was not ideal. So,
> responsibility yes... capability no. [...]

I'm not surprised you weren't capable of the bigger task of handling
this crisis if you couldn't even complete the smaller task of routine
meeting tasks that presumably existed before everyone took office.

> Hey, I suck! I'm the first to agree. That's why I didn't run as President
> again. Jimmy, Branden and the rest of the SPI team have now had a six month
> crack at sorting it out on their own without my badgering. That doesn't seem
> to have working well either.

When there has been an emotional vampire sucking the enthusiasm
out of the project, which is largely administrative anyway,
it takes the patient a while to recover. From experience of other
groups, I will be dead impressed if it's anything like working
smoothly by July.

> > I don't think the SPI problems makes transparency and
> > accountability any more or less of an issue in the DPL elections
> > than it would have been otherwise. I would like to ask all
> > candidates about them, but let's wait for campaigning to start.
> I disagree. This is the first time SPI misplaced $18,000.00 of Debian's money.
> That's a pretty spectacular screw up. Without Debian's money and trademarks
> SPI is largely irrelevant. I think its all good food for thought.

If the checks and balances were broken, this was an accident waiting
to happen. Not necessarily your fault. What we can do is form an
opinion on how you handled the accident.