Re: Ready to vote on 2004-003?

On Wed, May 19, 2004 at 09:23:54AM -0700, Thomas Bushnell, BSG wrote:
> Anthony Towns <aj@azure.humbug.org.au> writes:
> > If you don't think it should have any effect on the release of sarge,
> > then you should make that case to the technical committee.
> And the technical committee said that a GR should settle it,

The technical committee haven't come to any formal conclusion. Members
of the technical committee have made various suggestions about what's
possible, not all of which include a GR.

> When a new criminal law is being considered by a legislature, one of
> the people most important to hear from is the attorney general, who
> can give advice on the scope of the language under consideration and
> describe its practical effects in terms of enforcement.

The closest match Debian has to that would probably be the project
secretary, who "Adjudicates any disputes about interpretation of the
constitution".

> > With great power comes great responsibility: GRs give you the power to
> > shape the project as you will, so you need to exercise that power with
> > the appropriate restraint. Relying on authority figures rather than
> > developing your own judgement is not the way to do that effectively.
> The fear is that we have an authority figure who will figure out a way
> to ignore a GR that we pass.

*shrug* Actions speak louder than words. There doesn't seem much fear
going on here, but rather a lot of maneuovering to make sure that
any problems that occur later can be laid at my feet. Fuck that for a
joke. Work out what you want to have happen yourself.

Cheers,
aj

Don't assume I speak for anyone but myself. GPG signed mail preferred.