Re: Ready to vote on 2004-003?

On Wed, May 19, 2004 at 05:55:35PM -0500, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
> 	The fact there was a precedent for this? When we first
>  adopted the DFSG, we did not throw out everything all at once --
>  indeed, there was a release within a few days of adoption of the
>  DFSG, and that release certainly did not meet the DFSG and the new
>  social contract.

Sarge wasn't ready to go out within a few days of this change.

> 	Why would it be reasonbable to believe that the behaviour of
>  the project would be radically different from how we have done things
>  in the past?

Because we didn't wait until near when Sarge was being released to pass
this GR?  [Much of this GR had been introduced last year.]

For that matter, we didn't have any release management back then, we
hadn't had a DFSG back then, we didn't have any base of decisions from
debian-legal, and Bruce was providing the final word on most issues.

Nevertheless, it IS a good idea to grandfather prior decisions for some
time, and we could argue for releasing sarge on that basis.  If you like,
we can try making that fly in the technical committee.

--
Raul