Re: Ready to vote on 2004-003?

Raul Miller <moth@debian.org> writes:

> On Wed, May 19, 2004 at 02:15:57PM -0700, Thomas Bushnell, BSG wrote:
> > I thought carefully about the last resolution, and assumed that it was
> > blindingly obvious that of course changes would get phased in over a
> > period of tim.
>
> I didn't see anything that made this obvious -- can you explain to me
> the basis for this assumption?

It was obvious to me.  I'm speaking about my subjective state, not
about some inherent "obviousness".  I assumed it was obvious, and it
apparently wasn't.  So I'm trying not to make the same mistake this
time.

> It might help if you could explain your reasoning.  Note that Anthony has
> stated that he's willing to reconsider his opinion (he's deferred that
> decision to the Technical Committee), but so far no one has provided a
> solid reason for that opinion to be overridden.

I'm not asking for it to be; I'm happy to do it by GR.

> Alternatively, you made a mistake and there was no reasonable way for
> Anthony to anticipate that you made this mistake.  In which case there
> would be no way for him to talk to you ahead of time and tell you that
> you were making this mistake.

Nor did I complain that he didn't.  But if I had said, "would this GR
impose any delays on the release of sarge", I would expect him to say,
"in my opinion, yes".  Nobody asked, so it's not somebody's fault.
I'm not expecting him to guess.

But now I *am* asking.

Thomas