Re: "keep non-free" proposal

On 10 Mar 2004 11:25:51 -0800, Thomas Bushnell, BSG <tb@becket.net> said:

> Raul Miller <moth@debian.org> writes:
>> Necessary for what purpose?

> We can work out the details of what is the standard of necessity.  I
> already gave some suggestions that I might accept: hardware drivers
> for closed drivers, non-free documentation for free software, for
> example.

	My standard of necessity is simple: if I feel it is necesary
 for me, then I say it is necessary.  How do I decide? Since these are
 subjective issues, there is an element of gut feeling involved. For
 example, even though there are alternate editors/mua's/irc
 clients/news readers out there, emacs is important for me.

	I do not think that if, after years of emacs/vi wars, I have
 not let others determine for me what I require, nor have I seen fit
 to debate what my criteria of necessity  is, that I am likely to do
 so now.

	Why is it relevant? Oh, to determine when the non free section
 contains important software? My take is this: if someone has taken
 the time and effort to package software despite it being non-free,
 and is standing up to take responsibility, and maintain it, and this
 person is a fellow Debian develope, who has a commitment to Debian
 and free software, then heck, the chances are that the software is
 needed.

	I trust my fellow developers; I don't think they would
 frivolously package _non-free_ software for the heck of it.

>> > I agree with you that the non-free packages need to exist.  What
>> > I disagree about is that it must be Debian's job to provide them.
>>
>> I agree that we shouldn't make any kinds of guarantees that we
>> provide them.

> First, some people have been reading the social contract as if it
> were a promise to provide non-free packages to users.

	We did make a promise (umm, a contract, even) to make non-free
 packages available, even though not a part of Debian, for the sake of
 their users, the implied promise is that the care that developers pay
 to packages, and the resultant quality, shall be provided to those
 packages as well. Indeed, the added value of the debian membership
 and infrastructure was implied in that promise.

	So I do believe.

>> Right now, if there's some kind of copyright problem which doesn't
>> prevent distribution, but which requires significant time to sort
>> out, the package can be moved to non-free, until it's solved.

> How exactly does the presence of non-free, as opposed to
> non-free.org, help this?

	non-free.org is vapourware, and god know what standards of
 quality it shall have; Debian does have a certain reputation
 for quality that purely hypothetical  organizations have difficulty
 in matching.

	manoj
--
I/O, I/O, It's off to disk I go, A bit or byte to read or write, I/O,
I/O, I/O...