Re: "keep non-free" proposal

On Mon, Mar 08, 2004 at 08:37:55PM -0800, Thomas Bushnell, BSG wrote:
> So we should do nothing because to do everything would lead us "into
> bigger problems"?  Then let's do what we can.

Where did you get the idea that I said we should do nothing?

Also, those bigger problems include stuff like potentially shutting down
the project (because we do really stupid stuff, like insist that private
keys and passwords should be distributed as free software).

Anyways, my point (which you seem to be refusing to acknowledge) is that
using "Debian is 100% Free Software" as a rationale to change existing
practice is inadequate.

That's a subtitle, which introduces a paragraph of text explaining what
is really meant.  It's not meant to stand on its own.

Do you have anything rational to say about this issue, or are you just
going to come back with more slogans?

> > I'd start with a better rationale.
>
> I've given *my* rationale, and the resolution satisfies that one very
> well.  My rationale for the GR is to end any kind of official branding
> of non-free software as Debian, and to end the provision of project
> resources for it.

That's not an expositions of reasons, that's a plan of action.

> > > I haven't heard how you plan to clarify what is and is not Debian.  I
> > > haven't heard your proposals for how to communicate to users that
> > > non-free is not part of the Debian distribution.
> >
> > You haven't?  I guess you're saying I've not posted enough on this
> > subject?  Or, if that's not your point, what is?
>
> Instead of asking a meta-question, why not answer the one I suggested?
> How do you plan to clarify what is and is not Debian?  How do you plan
> to communicate that to users?

[1] I've already written several hundred messages on that topic.  I feel
you're being evasive, and don't care to cater to your unwillingness to
discuss your own reasons.

[2,3] I've several dozen plans, picking the right one requires properly
identifying all the underlying reasons.

--
Raul