Re: non-free and users?

On Thu, Jan 22, 2004 at 10:21:17PM +0100, Sergey V. Spiridonov wrote:
> Tell me please, how software itself can be evil without a human?

I consider that a meaningless statement.

Anyways, what I was objecting to wasn't your last sentence but the
previous sentences, and your larger argument which seems to rest in
drawing analogies with illegal drug distribution.

> What ethics have to do with software without a human and his actions,
> aims, beliefs?

Nothing.

> It is a human and his actions which can make software evil.

Sure, and it is humans and human actions which makes software.  [Though,
granted, humans use tools to accomplish this, and there's lots of layers
of indirection.]

Furthermore, without any human involvement, no human can even recognize
the presence or absence of anything, let alone something like evil
which is closely associated [in the negative sense] with human goals
and human outlook.

> One can package software with most restrictive license you can imagine,
> but this can not produce any ethical problem, until it will be
> *distributed*. If distribution is not performed, it can not produce
> described non-ethical situations, neither #1 nor #2.

In your example here, it's the license which is the potential problem,
not the software.  The phrase "until it will be distributed" makes that
very obvious.

Also, I can construct examples where software would be used for evil
purposes without being distributed at all.

--
Raul