Re: non-free and users?

On Sun, Jan 18, 2004 at 12:29:14PM +0100, Sergey V. Spiridonov wrote:
> Raul Miller wrote:
> >>I downloaded program 'A' from non-free section of Debian and started to
> >>distribute it. I made a copy for my friend Bin and for my friend Laden.
> >>After this I erased the program from my hard drive. I dropped it. After
> >>I dropped my copy the third mate Usama got the copy from Bin.
> >
> > I don't understand the relevance of this example.
>
> You wrote:
>  > [*] preventing the distribution of program 'A' to people who need it
>  > also contradicts human ethics (unless something at least as adequate
>  > for that need is distributed instead).
>
> I demostrate how one can start to distribute a program, continue to
> distribute a program and stop to distribute a program. All three actions
> do not contradict any ethical rule.

You choosing to not do something is different (ethically, as well as
practically) from you stopping or preventing someone else from doing
that thing.  Your example doesn't say anything at all about stopping
other developers from distributing a program.

> If you still think that erasing something from my hard drive (free or
> non-free) is not ethical, please explain me how.

I just don't see what this has to do with having debian remove non-free.

Sure, you can remove something from your hard drive.  That's not
equivalent to removing packages in unstable which are there because of
someone else's work.

--
Raul