Re: [Proposal] Updating the Social Contract

This proposal replaces the amendment I submitted earlier today.  This
version removes "Linux" from the title and spells out who the contract
is with.  I also fix the grammatical mistake Sven found.

We will change the title of the social contract to read:

  Debian's Social Contract with its Users

We will change parts 1 and 5 of the social contract to read as follows:

  1. Debian Will Remain 100% Free Software

     Debian exists to distribute a general purpose system composed of
     entirely free software.  As there are many definitions of free
     software, we use the "Debian Free Software Guidelines" to determine
     if software is free.  We will also support our users who develop
     and run other software on Debian -- free or non-free -- but we will
     never make the system depend on an item of non-free software.

  5. Programs That Don't Meet Our Free-Software Standards

     We acknowledge that some of our users require the use of programs
     that don't conform to the Debian Free Software Guidelines.  We
     support interoperability standards such as "Linux System Base", and
     will accept bug reports where our system violates those standards.
     To make our system more attractive to people with mild dependencies
     on non-free software, we have created "contrib" and "non-free" areas
     in our internet archive.  The software in these directories is not
     needed by most people, and we do not guarantee all software in the
     non-free area may be distributed in other ways.  Thus, although
     we're working to reduce people's dependence on non-free software,
     we support users who are still dependent.  Additionally, we will
     work to provide free alternatives to non-free software so people who
     use only free software can work with users of non-free software.

- --

Version: 2.6.3ia
Charset: noconv