Re: The "Free" vs. "Non-Free" issue

On Wed, Jan 07, 2004 at 01:35:34PM -0600, Steve Langasek wrote:
> However, the discussion period is intended to be finite, it's not
> supposed to be used as a filibuster.

I never suggested that it was.

And, in fact, it's the Secretary who gets to say when the
discussion period is over, precisely because it might
involve a judgment call.

> If his answer to "what's the point?" is nothing more involved than
> "because I want it to be known where the developership stands on the
> question I proposed", and he gets the requisite seconds, isn't it
> better to call the vote rather than discussing interminably?

Who cares?  Why do you ask?  How does this question have
any relevance?

[a] he hasn't gotten the requisite number of seconds,
[b] other people posting, ostensibly in favor of his proposals seem to
think there is some other point,
[c] some of these other people might very well have other
proposals to offer.

So, amusing as it might be to consider, there's more going on here than
Andrew wants a vote.

> Particularly when voting on a resolution which appears to be toothless
> by design?

NO!

That's the really bad part of Andrew's proposal.

While our voting system is fairly resilient to insincere voting, no
voting system can be completely immune -- for example, consider what
happens when a majority of the votes are insincere.  And, if the ballot
options themselves are insincere, that encourages insincere voting.

--
Raul