Re: The "Free" vs. "Non-Free" issue

On Tue, Jan 06, 2004 at 09:46:20PM -0500, Raul Miller wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 07, 2004 at 02:35:45AM +0000, Andrew Suffield wrote:
> > You cannot get rid of non-free without a vote. All that you can do is
> > to empty it. Even if it were empty, it must remain until a vote
> > occurs.
>
> That's not currently a relevant issue.
>
> That said: a vote to get rid of non-free when non-free is empty would
> have different significance than a vote to get rid of non-free when
> non-free contains packages some people rely on.

Yes.

Now, assume that non-free is not empty, but all the packages in it are
orphaned and broken.

<insert slippery slope stuff here>

It becomes a problem of "Where do you draw the line?"

I posit that the enfranchised developers are quite capable of making
that decision on their own, and that there is reason to be asking the
question now. Hence, we vote on it.

 : :' :  http://www.debian.org/ |