Re: The "Free" vs. "Non-Free" issue

On Wed, Jan 07, 2004 at 02:57:02PM -0500, Raul Miller wrote:
> > If his answer to "what's the point?" is nothing more involved than
> > "because I want it to be known where the developership stands on the
> > question I proposed", and he gets the requisite seconds, isn't it
> > better to call the vote rather than discussing interminably?
>
> Who cares?  Why do you ask?  How does this question have
> any relevance?
>
> [a] he hasn't gotten the requisite number of seconds,

Do stop waving that around. I rounded up enough people in under an
hour, just by asking on IRC, last weekend (but haven't bothered to
chase them up just yet, for reasons of my own). We'll go through the
formalities at a suitable time (which is likely to be fairly soon).

> [b] other people posting, ostensibly in favor of his proposals seem to
> think there is some other point,

You've missed the point here. People have different
motivations. Asking "Why do you personally think we should drop
non-free?" is reasonable, but don't expect an answer from everybody (I
don't particularly want to answer that question), and don't expect
everybody to give the same answer. I'm fairly sure people have a lot
of different reasons on both sides. Asking "Why are you asking the
question?", which is what you've done a few times now in various
forms, is silly.

> [c] some of these other people might very well have other
> proposals to offer.

Bogus. Anybody can offer a proposal at any time (a few people even
have). I've dealt with several more in private; I didn't pull either
of my two proposals out of thin air. Handwaving about proposals that
nobody has made is silly.

> > Particularly when voting on a resolution which appears to be toothless
> > by design?
>
> NO!
>
> That's the really bad part of Andrew's proposal.
>
> While our voting system is fairly resilient to insincere voting, no
> voting system can be completely immune -- for example, consider what
> happens when a majority of the votes are insincere.  And, if the ballot
> options themselves are insincere, that encourages insincere voting.

Pure FUD (based on self-evidently ridiculous assumptions).

 : :' :  http://www.debian.org/ |