Re: Another Non-Free Proposal

On Wed, 7 Jan 2004 11:16:16 +0100, Michael Banck <mbanck@debian.org> said:

> On Tue, Jan 06, 2004 at 02:42:11AM +1000, Anthony Towns wrote:
>> Personally, I think all those sort of benefits are outweighed by
>> the people who need to run proprietary software, and finding Debian
>> lets them do that very easily, are then able to see first hand the
>> benefits of a pure free software system.

> I'm not very happy about that. Did I understand you correctly that
> you think people will try out Debian *because* of non-free? And then
> perhaps drop non-free when they see the benefits of pure main?

	I know that to be a fact.

> I'd hope people try out Debian because either it's cool or Free
> Software and then eventually see "Oh, there's this non-free
> stuff. Let's see if there's something useful there."

	It is also cool to see people coming to Debian because of
 practicality, and then discovering this cool libré software thing.

	You may be surprised at the broad spectrum of users that
 Debian has, and the users that do not adhere to your particular brand
 of free software beliefs are also important.  Debian is not jsut for
 users who think like I do (Or have the same religion, or the same
 polictical beliefs, or the same skin color as I do).

	manoj
--
Modern biology has been built upon two great ideas.  The first, a
product of the nineteenth century, is that all life descended from