Re: one of the many reasons why removing non-free is a dumb idea

On Tue, 6 Jan 2004 21:17:17 -0600, John Goerzen <jgoerzen@complete.org> said:

> On Wed, Jan 07, 2004 at 10:58:56AM +1000, Anthony Towns wrote:
>> On Tue, Jan 06, 2004 at 02:24:48PM -0600, John Goerzen wrote:
>> > I do not believe Debian should be distributing such software.  It
>> > rightly fails the DFSG.  For some users (for instance, a
>> > business) it is actually less free than something without source
>> > (such as Netscape 4.7).  The no discrimination clause in DFSG is
>> > an important one.  Debian must be equally Free for all.
>>
>> Why must it? We have an area that's free for all: it's called
>> main. We have another area that contains stuff that's not free for
>> all, but that is useful and that we're allowed to distribute. If
>> you don't like the non-free stuff, then don't use it and don't
>> maintain it.
>>
>> Why do you find that solution so unacceptable that you think Debian
>> *must* do something else?

> As time passes, it appears to me more and more that the continued
> presence of non-free is incompatible with the long-term interests of
> our stated goals, users and free software.

	I beg to differ. Indeed, the very reason for having non-free
 is because the software performs a function that is useful to users,
 despite no meeting our guidelines.

	And it helps free software two fold: it a helps in
 transitioning packages to free-er licenses (ncftp, qt, etc), and it
 gets us a wider audience (people who would have not chosen Debian
 without the support for the non-free stuff). Once in the fold, they
 are exposed to the ideas of free software, they espouse, and
 proselytize, Debian.

> Providing a distribution platform for non-free software seems to
> greatly moderate the incentive the non-free authors would have to
> relicense their software under the GPL; it seems that the areas that
> we have been successful already are testament to what we have the
> potential to do were we to carry an even larger carrot and stick.

	I kinda doubt that. Debian is does not carry that big a stick,
 and the drop software from Debian is not as big a stick as Debian
 labels software as non-free.

	Everyone knows that Debian can't package all software there is
 out there, so absence of the software reflects on the incompleteness
 of Debian to the casual end user; having the software labelled as
 non-free reflects on the software package.

> We are now long past the era where technical hurdles prevented
> spinning non-free off of Debian.  We have a set of people that are
> capable of maintaining it by itself.  We also have a situation where

	Got anything to back this up? Who are these people? Do they
 have the resources you say they are capable of marshalling?

	manoj
--
You will remember something that you should not have forgotten.