Re: Another Non-Free Proposal

On Wed, Jan 07, 2004 at 11:16:16AM +0100, Michael Banck wrote:
> I'd hope people try out Debian because either it's cool or Free
> Software and then eventually see "Oh, there's this non-free
> stuff. Let's see if there's something useful there."

I think that with the old non-free question, most people installing
Debian (the vast majority even) select yes to non-free, even if there
is nothing in non-free that they want (or know they want) and then end
up installing non-free software that was listed in their cache or
showed up in a default search on the website when perhaps they would
have been just as happy with a free replacement.

I think that there are real steps we can (and some people have) been
taking to make the non-Debian-ness of non-free more clear to
users. Finding ways that we can communicate this separation in such a
way that its easy for users that really want non-free software but not
so easy that people instinctively choose it en mass is a good gaol

One benefit is that it all ends up being a lot less controversial than
the sorts of proposals that spawn this thread. :)

Regards,
Mako

--
Benjamin Mako Hill