Re: Proposed ballot for the constitutional amendment

On Tue, 14 Oct 2003 10:01:54 +0100, Oliver Elphick <olly@lfix.co.uk> said:

> On Tue, 2003-10-14 at 09:08, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
>> > Manoj, you say you were taught English - I infer that it is not
>> > your native language.  It is mine.  Furthermore, my father taught
>> > English and I was at a good school while grammar was still being
>> > taught.
>>
>> I find that has little to recommend as a metric of fluency and
>> command of the language;

> I assume that refers to the statement that I am native English.  If
> it referred to the rest of what I said, it would be foolish and
> arrogant.

	My, for someone who fails to understand the meaning of the
 word "shall" in this context, we sure have a high regard of our
 command of the language

> What you wrote is strained and unidiomatic.  That is something that
> other non-native English speakers need to understand, lest they
> think it is good style and reproduce it.

	I would suggest people make their own judgement on this, I am
 afraid that you have failed to impress me as a paragon of style and
 grammatical correctness.

	manoj
--
An investment in knowledge always pays the best interest. Benjamin
Franklin