Re: Proposed ballot for the constitutional amendment

On Mon, 13 Oct 2003 18:25:12 +0100, Jochen Voss <voss@seehuhn.de> said:

> Hi,
> On Mon, Oct 13, 2003 at 11:04:16AM -0500, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
>> Discussion" choice is unranked, then it is equal to all other
>> unranked choices, if any -- no special consideration is given to
>> the "Further Discussion" choice by the voting software).
> If the software implements the quota and supermajority checking the
> last half sentence becomes false.  Maybe everything after the "if
> any" should be omitted?

>> your ballot; the voting mechanism shall not be able to decrypt your
>> message.
> I'm no native speaker of english, but that "shall" seems strange to
> me.  Maybe a "will" would be more appropriate?

	No. I was taught English which may well be considered archaic
 in todays post-modernistic world;  however, the usage falls under the
 the colored future system (described in
 http://www.bartleby.com/116/213.html).

	In an expression of the speaker's (not necessarily the
 subject's) wish, intention, menace, assurance, consent, refusal,
 promise, offer, permission, command, &c. -- in such sentences the
 first person has will/would, the second and third persons
 shall/should.

>> Proposal B: Clarifies status of non-technical documents.  Does *not
>>
>> * create a class of Foundation Documents.
> The layout is broken here.

	Hmm. That is not reflected in the on disk ballot.txt file -- I
 guess something went wrong in the email version. I'll look into this.

	manoj

--
The mistake you make is in trying to figure it out. Tennessee Williams