Re: Proposed ballot for the constitutional amendment

On 2003-10-14 10:01:54 +0100 Oliver Elphick <olly@lfix.co.uk> wrote:
The destruction of good English
teaching began with the move to comprehensive schooling beginning in
1967.

Sir,

I find the assertion of a link between comprehensive schooling in England and poor English language instruction wholly absurd. The two phenomena are correlated, but are obviously linked by time. The 1970s saw popularity of a number of alternative English teaching practices, which did not teach grammar explicitly, but also had other defects (such as not correcting spelling). However, I know that some schools continued to teach English in a more traditional manner until the introduction of the National Curriculum. It is possible that some managed to continue beyond that, but I do not know them.

I cannot see why you think comprehensive schooling caused so-called "trendy teaching". As further evidence, attainment statistics reportedly show a broadly similar change over the same period of time across both selective and comprehensive areas. From anecdotal reports, the same teaching methods seem to have been used in selective schools.

I apologise that this is now heading off-topic for the list.

http://mjr.towers.org.uk/ gopher://g.towers.org.uk/ slef@jabber.at