Re: Call for votes for the Condorcet/Clone proot SSD voting methodsGR

On Wed, Jun 18, 2003 at 09:36:23AM -0500, Steve Langasek wrote:
> > Perhaps we could have compulsory voting then :-|
> Why would rendering us unable to block a vote for lack of quorum be a
> *good* thing?

You can't actively block a vote using the quorum mechanism. If you want
to do that, you need to arrange for N-Q+1 voters to not vote (or not to
rank a given option above the default), but if you can influence that
many people, you might as well just arrange for N/2 people to vote for
whichever option you actually want, which is always significantly less
than N-Q+1.

The real problem with compulsory voting in Debian is that Debian isn't
about compulsory *anything* anyway. You don't have to vote ever, you
don't have to be active on lists, you don't have to lurk on lists,
you don't even have to upload packages in any particular way.

Cheers,
aj

       ``Is this some kind of psych test?
                      Am I getting paid for this?''