Re: Call for votes for the Condorcet/Clone proot SSD voting methodsGR

On Fri, Jun 13, 2003 at 10:27:00AM -0500, Steve Langasek wrote:
> In contrast, with an electronic vote that's open for an extended period
> and for which quorum is calculated per-vote, classic quorum means it
> may be in your best interest to *not* vote on a particular issue if
> turnout is low, in order to avoid reaching quorum when you don't agree
> with the majority of those participating.  In other words, classic
> quorum in Debian would be subject to abuse by strategic *non*-voting,
> which we want to avoid; democracy is most effective when constituents
> have a vested interest in participating, and at a minimum this means
> constituents should never be penalized for voting their true
> preferences.

Perhaps we could have compulsory voting then :-|

Is this idea abhorrent to USAns? We have compulsory voting for
government elections in Australia. I heard that new Australian citizens
are told that their two responsibilities as Australian citizens are
jury duty and voting.

I suppose it would be unworkable for Debian though.

Hamish